Monday, May 28, 2007

Continuous improvement

Toyota are famous for continuous improvement and lean manufacturing. The process never ending. Thanks to Spooky action for the link.

Writing a short blog about this article is useful in a couple of ways
  1. It means I have this link saved on an external server. So when I reread this stuff in the future I can go and reread that article, revisit the sites which are linked.
  2. Reinforces the article just read, writing (or typing in this case) and expresses some part of my opinion or view or take on the subject.
When I read about the bloke who goes home and looks at his home and domestic chores differently I am like that, and I thought and can almost hear people's sharp intake of breath that you could seek to continuously improve not just your job but your own life. I know the words "How anal!"
Sad isn't it, that I feel some form of cultural bias exists against self improvement, even enjoying your job, let alone the drudgery of domestic chores like mowing the lawn, or knowing how long your morning routine takes to get you from bed to office.

I joked when I started work with Paul Vallee and his mates at Pythian that I would have paging reduced to a minimum, that a role which started out as a tough role for one person to handle would end up being a minor issue. Ironically in fact that the only issues which will remain will be the most serious emergencies or disasters. I should have taken a bet on that. I now have days where I do not receive a single page. This is bliss as there is nothing worse than a page to break your concentration and focus.

If you feel like skipping the article here are the 4 processes which the author identified within Toyota each feeding of each other
  1. Making cars
  2. Making cars better
  3. Teaching everyone how to make cars better
  4. Making the process of making cars, making cars better, and teaching how to make cars better, better.
Have Fun

Paul

No comments: