Sunday, May 28, 2006

First week in Canada or cleaning internet cafe computers

Finally I have a chance to use a computer without the threat of spyware,adware and rootkits. I thought I could use a internet cafe a couple of blocks from where I am staying, but the last visit required 40 minutes of downloading spybot, ad-aware, firewalls and sysinternals rootkit revealer just to make the machine ok to use. It was affected with spyware and adware badly.

Anyway I chose to come into the Pythian office and use the computer I have been given for the duration of my stay as I know it is secure.
So it is Saturday morning Canadian (EDT) time just before lunchtime.

The first week has been busy, the learning curve steep, but I have jumped into handling the daily processes and alerts as a way to get up to speed as quickly as possible. Doing actual work as opposed to reading documentation and having meetings (whilst important) is a much faster way to "get a grip" on the new work environment, processes, clients etc.

The system that Pythian have for handling the large number of clients and larger number of databases, client -> databases is a one to many relationship :) is very very good.
Like any successful company, systems and processes are one of the keys to allowing the company to expand and also provide a method of storing or maintaining what is called organizational learning or knowledge. This way if someone leaves the company, the knowledge doesn't leave as well.

I won't post much in way of the new direction and database related posts until I get back to Australia.

More later, have fun.